With the pressure of year-end closing behind us, it is time to look forward. This is no time to rest on our laurels – unless we want to go through another insane end of year, hoping that the customer will have pity on us and sign, even if they are not convinced. To that end, as good negotiators, repeat after me…
I resolve to do my preparation early in 2009, and as a result, have a terrific year.
To that end, I resolve:
- To persuade my buyers by describing the value of my solution – in their business terms, not mine, using references and proofs of concept as needed.
- To articulate that value to each decision maker or key influencer for the agreement. The articulation will be customized and relevant to the role of the customer person I am speaking with, and I will get confirmation from them that it is relevant.
- To quantify the business benefit that my solution provides, in customer terms. I will use real customer data as much as possible, and develop the model for the business benefit jointly with my customer.
- To get a confirmation from my customer that the quantified business value is important to them, and if possible, that they will use our jointly-developed models in their decision-making process.
- To understand and describe accurately how only my solution offers certain key characteristics that solve the customer problem.
- To be proud that I have brought a solution to my customer which provides them with a real business benefit, at a fair price.
- To enjoy the journey and have a great year.
Negotiate Wisely! (td)